The Importance of Digital Parenting Workshops in SchoolsSep 04, 2023
Technology and devices are reshaping much of the world around us. Most of us can likely remember a time when it wasn’t so closely interwoven into our day to day lives. However, this isn’t the case for the next generation.
For children, technology has become an integral part of education, communication, and entertainment. Because of this, digital-age parents must be equipped with the tools and insights to help young ones navigate all the complexities that are ahead of them in this interconnected world.
Digital parenting workshops are a fantastic resource for parents who want to build their awareness of online risks and develop strategies to help their kids navigate them. Hosting these workshops in schools—or similar associations—is a great way to foster a sense of community among parents facing similar challenges. It also allows parents, caregivers, and guardians to exchange experiences and insights, as well as offer and receive support.
The benefits of digital parenting workshops
Helping your kids to become responsible digital citizens may seem like a daunting task, especially if you’re not so tech savvy yourself. But it doesn’t have to be!
Developing a balanced view of the risks and benefits of the digital world is important for empowering you and your little ones to get the most out of it. In fact, there are many positive aspects to technology that can be beneficial for kids, it’s all about establishing balance and boundaries.
Here are some of the benefits that a digital parenting workshop can offer you:
- Enhance your digital literacy. If you’re feeling like a digital dinosaur, workshops can provide you with a deeper understanding of online platforms, apps, games, etc. This will help you engage more effectively (and keep up) with your children's digital experiences.
- Understand online safety risks. Knowing exactly what the real risks of being online are for your kids is the first step you can take to protect them. Great workshops cover what the potential risks are, as well as ways you can safeguard your children's personal information and digital identity.
- Tech-positive parenting. You may feel like you want to lock all your devices up and throw away the key to keep your kids safe from the downsides of tech. But it’s not all doom and gloom! Workshops can help you gain insights into embracing technology as a tool for learning, creativity, and exploration, rather than solely as a source of concern.
- Screen time management. Developing healthy boundaries with devices now is a skill your kids can take through to adulthood with them. It’s important to learn what the screen time recommendations are by age, how to help your children develop a balanced approach to technology use, and how you can limit the negative effects of excessive screen time.
- Communication skills. Just like all other areas of parenting, it’s important to be able to have open and meaningful conversations with your children about online activities, safety concerns, and responsible digital behavior. Workshops can help you build strategies for starting these crucial conversations with your kids.
- Raising responsible digital citizens. In the same way that your children learn to be respectful and responsible in the real world, it’s crucial to help them understand digital etiquette too. Workshops cover topics such as responsible posting and respectful communication in digital spaces.
- Building digital resilience. As much as we want to protect our kids from anything and everything harmful, that simply isn’t always possible. Learning how to help your children develop resilience, coping skills, and the ability to speak up if they do come across anything uncomfortable online is another vital aspect of helping them flourish in the digital age.
- Long-term impact. The skills and insights that you gain from digital parenting workshops can not only positively impact your children now, but it can also help put them on the path to becoming responsible and respectful digital citizens throughout their lives.
Workshops with a digital parenting expert
Dr. Elizabeth Milovidov is a lawyer, an eSafety Consultant, and a digital parenting expert. She offers group workshops in schools, associations, and online for digital-age parents. Her mission is to help parents feel more confident, less anxious, and ready to communicate with their kids about some of the icky things online.
The power of her workshops lies in how interactive they are. During a workshop, you will have the opportunity to ask questions specific to your situation and receive an answer tailored to your needs. The workshops will also include empowering stories from other parents to help you realize that you’re not alone.
For more information, or to book a workshop, visit the digital parenting workshop page.
Don't miss out!
Get all the latest digital parenting news delivered to your inbox.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.