The key to digital parenting is communication.
A digital parent . . .
- Talks with their children openly and regularly
- Knows that there is a time and place for tech - and is able to explain that to their children
- Searches online for anything that they don’t understand
- Appreciates the benefits of Internet and technology
- Is aware of the risks of Internet and technology
- Remains calm when something happens
- Pays attention to their children’s use of screens, including TV, Kindles, gaming consoles, etc.
- Is a good digital role model
- Knows how to use parental controls
- Encourages their children to use Internet and technology, (wisely and safely)
Plans offline activities whenever possible
And here are some excellent resources to keep you motivated:
Family Online Safety Institute: 7 Steps to Good Digital Parenting
Internet Matters: Online Issues: Learn About It, Talk About It, Deal With It
Looking for something more? Shoot me an email at...